Chocolate Protein Pancakes
These chocolate protein pancakes are sugar free and oil, butter free. They are therefore low in calories. To make them filling I am increasing protein by adding egg whites and Greek yogurt. They are rich, soft and delicious. Once you try them you may just prefer them over regular pancakes. They are high in protein but there is no protein powder being used – just simple ingredients.
Watch this Chocolate Pancakes video for detailed instructions:
How many calorie are in chocolate pancakes?
There are 255 calories in the whole recipe and 19 grams of protein.
Is it healthy to eat pancakes everyday?
Pancakes that are made with sugar, lots of butter and refined flours are not a healthy choice to eat everyday. That is why I like to transform regular recipes so I can eat my favorite meals everyday and stay healthy. And these chocolate pancakes are just like that. Feel free to eat them everyday. There is no refined flour, no sugar, no butter or oil – just filling and nutrition packed ingredients.
What do you need to make chocolate protein pancakes
- Oats – I used old fashioned oats.
- Egg whites for extra protein and to keep the calories low
- Greek yogurt – non fat option is the best because it is the lowest in calories and highest in protein
- Cocoa powder – I use dark cocoa because I like the rich flavor. You can use any kind you like or reduce the amount of cocoa in the recipe if it turns out too rich
- Baking powder
- Monkfruit sweetener – this is my favorite zero calorie sweetener as it taste and looks like regular without the extra calories. You can find Lankanto Monkfruit sweetener on Amazon using this link.
What can chocolate protein pancakes be served with?
My favorite and a healthy way to eat these pancakes is to put Greek yogurt and fresh berries on the side and use sugar free syrup.
If you have higher calorie budget, you can whip some fresh heavy whipping cream with powdered sugar and make whipped cream. For extra sweetness, pure maple syrup is great but it will add 110 calories per just 1/4 cup.
How to make chocolate protein pancakes
Prepare and weigh all the ingredients: oats, egg whites, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, yogurt.
Place all ingredients in a blender of your choice. I use Nutribullet because it is small, powerful and grinds very well and fast. This is the Nutribullet that I use for this recipe (link). Blend it all for 30 to 60 seconds until the batter becomes smooth.
I have tried different methods for this recipe and grinding the oats and mixing all ingredients by hand will change the texture. Grinding the oats with all ingredients yields best texture.
Using non stick pan, fry the batter. I make three medium pancakes. You can double or triple the recipe if you wish to.
Chocolate protein pancakes
- Frying pan
- ½ cup old fashioned oats 41 g
- 2 oz egg whites
- 2 oz non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Put all ingredients in a blender
- Blend on high for 30-60 seconds until the batter becomes smooth
- fry on medium heat on non stick frying pan
*Links in this blog post are affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you, I will make a small commission if you click them and make a qualifying purchase*