Bagels Recipe – Low Calorie High Protein
It is hard to find substitutions for certain foods when the original is so amazing and doesn’t have that many ingredients. Breads are one of those foods for sure. I did not expect much from the bagels recipe that was circulating on so many social media platforms. I read the ingredients: flour? OK, yogurt? hmmm, interesting… low in calories and high in protein?? I should try them. And oh man! I am so thankful I did!
This recipe should be called: ‘I can’t believe it’s bagel’. I am glad I did make these bagels because they are amazing! I did make some changes to the original recipe (of course:).
Few things that I learned: First, make sure you do not forget to knead the dough. I did omit the step the first time I made them. They were good but the texture was not so great. Kneading the dough for these bagels is a crucial step. Second, make sure you bake them at the highest rack of your oven. They tend to get too crispy at the bottom if I bake them on the middle rack of the oven. And I prefer them lightly crispy all around:).
The dough gets very sticky when you handle it. Do not worry about it. You can continue adding flour while kneading to make it more manageable. If you are using an electric mixer you will probably not experience that. For step by step instruction and to witness my own mistakes while I was making the bagels for the first time, visit my YouTube bagels recipe video.
With 160 calories and 10 grams of protein per bagel you can have them everyday and still be in your calorie budget, doesn’t matter how low or high it is (well, if you care… But if you do not care it still won’t hurt if you try them because they are so much easier and faster to make than regular bagels.
Low Calorie Bagels Recipe
- 5 oz All purpose flour
- 1 cup Non fat Greek Yogurt (Fage)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- To a large bowl add flour
- Add salt, baking powder, sugar and yogurt
- Add beaten egg reserving just a little bit for egg wash for the bagels
- Combine all the ingredients well
- Move the dough into well floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (you can also use electric mixer)
- Divide into 4 pieces
- Roll each into a cylinder
- Form bagels
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Line bagels onto baking sheet lined with silicone matt or parchment paper
- Apply egg wash on bagels
- Bake on the highest rack of the oven for 20 – 25 minutes
- They should look slightly browned